Tach input from spark voltage (idea)

Johnny allnight at everett.net
Sun Oct 20 21:46:04 GMT 1996

Don't let what I said discourage you. Most of the applications you are
probably going to be targeting use the "standard" 12 volt coil. It is only
the CD ignitions, whether electronic or not, that give the big kick to the
primary side of the coil, and a lot of them use the standard 12 volt coil
anyway. I would think that you would be covering the vast majority of apps
if you designed around that model. Or, if you couldn't do a one fits all
solution, do one that fits what you need or the majority of the market
place first, then cover the rest later with a different model.

I can see the usefulness of the inductive opto-isolated primary side tach.
No matter what happens to the tach or the interface, it won't affect the
ignition itself (aircraft thinking here). Most electronic ignitions have a
tach output, but what happens when the tach that is connected to them
shorts out? I think you have a great idea by doing inductive pickup on the
primary side.

-j-

> From: Grant Beattie <grantb at nait.ab.ca>
> To: diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject: Re: Tach input from spark voltage (idea)
> Date: Sunday, October 20, 1996 12:34 PM
>
> On Sun, 20 Oct 1996, Johnny wrote:
>
> > one box that uses coils that see about 400 volts on the primary side.
Some