DIY_EFI Digest V1 #319

talltom talltom at teleport.com
Sun Oct 20 22:27:47 GMT 1996

> ------------------------------
>
> From: jac at wave.sheridan.wy.us
> Date: Sat, 19 Oct 96 20:27:32 PDT
> Subject: Virtual Instruments
>
> The October 1996 issue of SPORT AVIATION magazine has an article about a new
> plane by Burt Rutan.  They use an embedded Mac to monitor the plane and a
> power book as a display and input device.  They take the powerbook home to
> plan flights and to analyze data.  In an aircraft, displacing a panel full
> of instruments will buy both computers and then some.  These are respected
> people and they made the system work.  The whole article is a lesson in
> cutting loose from conventional design.  I reccomend the article as a study
> in both topics.

Along the same line if you're open minded enough I'd recommend taking a look at the
Mercedes F-200 concept car introduced last month. Pretty much the entire car is
joystick controlled, and tests have shown people able to manipulate it more precisely
than conventional systems. The other neat wrinkle is that it's cheaper(no steering
column) and it doesn't care which side of the road you drive on, it can be driven
equally from either side.
   One other thing that I'm sure will be controversial, the control system responds
as per drivers input, unless the computer figuires the drivers input is inappropriate...

   Course with all the success MBZ and BMW have had with thier motronics blowing up,
I can't wait for this......This is going to be good!!!:-)
--
>>---------------------------------CUT------------------------------------------<<"a society that will trade a little freedom for a little order
deserves neither"                                          Thomas Jefferson

Clinton doesn't want anything Hitler didn't have.

What do you get with Bob Dole, Bill Clinton, and Dolly Parton in the same room?
Two boobs and a country singer!

Harry Browne for US president 96!                              Talltom