OBD / Big Brother

Markus Strobl eusmsrt at exu.ericsson.se
Tue Oct 22 19:25:18 GMT 1996

> Besides, there's one large hole in your idea. The same regulators that
> forced OBD II on us will simply make "any engine control management system
> not manufactured by the OEM"  -- i.e. your box -- illegal with a wave of
> their bureaucratic pen. You'll still be able to make your box but you won't
> be able to sell it in the open, which means you won't reach many customers,
> so you won't make much money. Speaking of money, a far cheaper solution
> would be to buy a pre-OBD II wreck for $100 and install its electronic
> system.
>
> Snake

Hmm.. I thought that OBD-II spook was done for awhile. Contrary to what
many believe it is perfectly possible to modify engines with OBDII
certified computers. My '96 Z28 is OBDII certified and I have a bunch
of mods including intake/exhaust, ported heads, rear gears, etc. It
is dynoed to 370 engine hp (stock is 285). I ran the factory stock
computer program for awhile with no trouble codes or other problems.
I replaced the stock program with a custom program because I wanted a
higher revlimiter and to correct my speedo for the rear gears.

Markus Strobl      96 Z28 6M Black.  Borla, 1LE shaft, B&M shifter, SFC
                   17" speedlines, 1.6 rockers, home-ported heads, 4.10
Dallas, Texas      gears, Swaybars, Crane Valve Springs, STB, BFG 275:s