DIY_EFI Digest V1 #256

Dirk Wright wright at uspto.gov
Tue Sep 3 12:37:54 GMT 1996

On Tue, 3 Sep 1996, Tony Bryant wrote:

> How about the real mechanical FI systems? Like off a '69 Mercedes coupe.
> No I'm not talking about K-Jet, I talking something that looks like a
> diesel fuel pump/distributor. I've only seen it in a workshop manual.
>
> Anybody with any experience with these, care to comment?

There was a SPICA system on my old '74 Alfe Romero that looked like
that. I did figure out how to adjust it, but of course, I was too
unimformed at the time to buy the shop manual. As I understand it, they
use very high pressure to the injectors. Higher pressure would make for
finer atomization if the nozzle is designed right. Of course, the
BMW2002tii used Kugel-Fischer (sp?) mechanical injection. I'm guessing,
but I think most electronic FI use lower pressures because it would take
too much electrical current to unseat the pintle of the injector in order
to open it.

Dirk Wright 					            wright at uspto.gov
"I speak for myself and not my employer."               1974 Porsche 914 2.0
"A real hifi glows in the dark and has horns."            1965 Goodman House