Ancient History

Dirk Wright wright at uspto.gov
Tue Sep 3 12:41:47 GMT 1996

On Tue, 3 Sep 1996, Tony Bryant wrote:

> What I want to know, is what happens when you have radical
> cam timing? This nice puddle of fuel on the inlet valve
> gets blown back up the inlet duct when the valve opens?
> Makes nice flames, if you don't run an air cleaner :-)
> But this surely can't make for repeatable fuel volume supplied
> to the cylinder?

As Ralph pointed out, the vacuum goes down at lower rpm due to valve
overlap. A vacuum responsive FI would make the mixture too rich for the
engine to run. I think carburators are more tolerant of this low vacuum
at low rpm because they are passive devices and because they are less
precise in fuel metering.

Dirk Wright 					            wright at uspto.gov
"I speak for myself and not my employer."               1974 Porsche 914 2.0
"A real hifi glows in the dark and has horns."            1965 Goodman House