Cams and FI

talltom talltom at teleport.com
Tue Sep 3 20:02:25 GMT 1996

>My '73 914 just happens to have a high lift cam with a lot of overlap.
>It won't idle decent below about 2000 rpm.  To pass a smog check, I set
>the lifters out to .030", and then it idles fine.  Clatters like hell.
>I've never had backfires with it.
>
>An additional problem is the low vacuum, about 12", below 2000 with
>that engine.  The Djet responds to low vacuum by squirting more fuel,
>which makes it richer until it dies.  I have found a fix for the ECU to
>alter the fuel curve, but haven't tried it in the car yet.
>
>RD

Don't know if it's relevent, but we've run more radical cams than that regularly
and get good idle at 1200-1300 rpm with a pissing in the wind system.(k) The
accepted mythology is this can't be done, but being as we do it I have a tough
time believing it. Our theory sez that as long as the pulsation isn't large
enough to pressurize clear out to the barn door(cone) it don't matter what
kind of cam you have. One of the guys has a 94 corvette, and he commented
that one of the rabbits was faster than his vette.(125 horse nitrous on a
rabbit is a REAL ride!:-)

  Don't know if 914 ever used pissing in wind with barn door systems.