Manifold/throttle bodys-ED:-)

Chuck Tomlinson tomlinsc at ix.netcom.com
Wed Sep 4 20:30:56 GMT 1996

>Hey Ed, if you're the manifold guru for Ford, how come the manufacturers
>haven't gone to throttle bodies for each cylinder like on some of the
>vettes? I know the vettes are two intake per cyl. but the advantages
>are many with one valve also, and it can't cost very much when they're
>already using port inj. Heck it might even be cheaper, being as the current
>massive aluminum castings could be eliminated in place of plastic plumbing.
>???????????????

I'm not Ed, but... ZR-1s were the only Vettes with throttle plates in the
intake runners, and they only controlled 8 of the 16 runners.  I think
these secondary throttles were 2-state i.e. either fully open or fully
closed.  Otherwise, the ZR-1 engine has a regular two-butterfly throttle
body on the front of the plenum.

In general, it would seem that balancing airflow (cylinder-to-cylinder)
through many individual throttles would be a more complex and expensive
proposition than having one throttle and a plenum. I thought some BMWs
have individual throttles (M-engines?), but I don't know what the real
benefits are.

Cadillac Northstars already use plastic manifolds with single butterfly
throttles, as will the "Gen III" small block Chevrolet in the '97 Vette.

--
Chuck Tomlinson