troubleshooting a taurus

SRavet at bangate.compaq.com SRavet at bangate.compaq.com
Fri Sep 6 23:07:03 GMT 1996

"Mike Fahrion" <mfahrion at bb-elec.com> Wrote:

| Sorry if this is a bit off subject.
|
| A coworker has paid an insane sum to a dealer to fix a problem which
| hasn't gone away - and I believe that it should be a simple EFI
| problem.
|
| The taurus has a very hard time starting after sitting overnite or
| over perhaps 8-10 hours.  Takes a large amount of cranking with no
| firing, then stumbles slowly to life.  Ambient temperature doesn't
| seem to have any effect.  Computer reveals no fault codes, pump and
| filter are good.
|
| Isn't there a fuel accumulator which should maintain fuel pressure
| when sitting?  If this was faulty would it allow pressure to drop -
| forcing the pump to charge the system again before it could start?
|
| Any insight would be appreciated

Maybe a leaky injector causing the pressure to bleed off, but also flooding
the engine?  I wouldn't think it would take long for the pump to build up
pressure, but if the engine is flooded it would take a few cranks to get
the gas out.  Sometimes the ECM recognizes a "clear flood" condition while
cranking and the pedal is WOT.  It doesn't inject any fuel, or very little,
to allow the flood to clear.  It should be simple enough to put a fuel
pressure gauge on the fuel rail and see if it maintains pressure.

--steve

| TIA
| -mike
| mfahrion at bb-elec.com

Steve Ravet
sravet at bangate.compaq.com
Baby you're a genius when it comes to cooking up some chili sauce...