Ancient History

Jonathan Lloyd john at jall.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 9 00:17:38 GMT 1996

In message <9609061511.AB00164 at mv8.orbeng.com.au>, RABBITT_Andrew at mv8.or
beng.com.au writes

>>cylinder contains free oxygen and free hydrocarbon radicals and the
>>whole lot reacts at once.  Bad news , knock , damage etc.
>
>Not exactly true.  Combustion pressure, temperature and radiation are
>required to initiate knock, which is where areas in the combustion
>chamber auto-ignite causing several flame fronts to develop
>uncontrolled.

As this is an EFI group I'll refrain from chatting about combustion but
for anyone who does it is important to be very clear about the terms
used  i.e. ignition, flame etc.  At basics the whole thing is a chemical
reaction and the issues are what reactions and what drives them.  There
are many different and driven by different things.
Jonathan Lloyd     john at anergy.demon.co.uk