Fuel on the intake valves

Hans Hintermaier HIHA at GNF99M.nefo.med.uni-muenchen.de
Mon Sep 9 09:35:45 GMT 1996

> FWIW, Nissan has been doing it since 1984 on their V6 engines.  I'm not sure
> about some of the other makers though.  Actually, most of the fuel
> atomization takes place through evaporation of the fuel on the hot intake
> valve (at lower engine speeds).  Various people have tried open valve
> described as "Making Oil" due to the large amounts of un evaporated fuel that
> gets washed down the bore at lower rpms.  Supposedly the only way to make it
> work is to aim the injector to hit the really hot exhaust valve.  Obviously
> this requires a specific head and manifold setup to accomplish.
In WW2 there were direct injected aircraft engines (only experiments?)
The injector was placed high in cylinder sidewall and sprayed on the
closed exthaust valve.
Hans
hiha@ brain.nefo.med.uni-muenchen.de
Munich / Germany