Ancient History

Markus Strobl eusmsrt at exu.ericsson.se
Mon Sep 9 20:12:06 GMT 1996

> Do these numbers really bother anyone?  12mpg highway for a 455? I mean,
> I've read about 46-48mpg from a turbo v-6; 28-30mpg from 5.7L z/28's,
> and 31mpg from 5.0L mustangs.  While I don't believe any of them;

[snip]

> I have driven in far too many 30mpg
> 5.0L mustangs (only to get 18-20) and 27mpg 5.7L '95 Z/28s (only to get 22.5)
> Maybe those cars get that kind of mileage at 60mph going down a hill with a
> tailwind, a real skinny driver and at a high altitude (higher altitudes get
> better gas mileage, especially with efi).
> When I say highway, I mean just that: jump on the freeway and drive.  That also
> means slowing down a little, speeding up, passing the old people, showing a
> Porshe
> a thing or two :)

[snip]

> Arnaldo Echevarria

You better believe it: when driving from Dallas to memphis, speed range 70 mph
to 95 mph, I got 27.5 mpg. Most of the tankful was driving at 80mph. A friend
in a '95 Trans Am that made the trip with me had a best of 28.5 (his engine was
more broken in, mine was fresh at 2k miles).

-------

Markus '96 Z28 w/ mods. Proof that OBDII is not the end of performance.