Ancient History (now fuel economy)

Mark Pitts saxon at zymurgy.org
Tue Sep 10 08:03:35 GMT 1996

As to the pressure in the manifold....

On the suck stroke... if you have HIGH DEPRESSION, the vacuum in the =
manifold tries to suck the descending piston up, or just plain doesn't =
help (grab a syringe, and see how hard it is to fill with water by =
pulling).

But, if turbo, or supercharge, or just plain acoustics is used to  get =
positive pressure in the manifold.. i.e. NEGATIVE depression, or comonly =
called pressure, this will (theoretically) help push the piston down the =
bore (now jam the syringe in the end of hose pipe, and the other end to =
the tap (faucet?)  you filled the bowl you were sucking from, and turn =
on the pressure (turbo), now dry yourself off, and go and find the =
plunger, cos that is probably the only accurate syringe you have for =
measuring head capacities).

Mark ;-)