more water injection

Robert J. Harris bob at bobthecomputerguy.com
Tue Sep 10 15:50:34 GMT 1996

Remember the Reichstag

----------
> From: Dirk Wright <wright at uspto.gov>
> To: diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject: more water injection
> Date: Tuesday, September 10, 1996 6:23 AM
>
> OK, here's a really dumb (but interesting to me) question: If water
> injection is so great, why is water in the gas considered so bad? Why
> bother with products like "dry gas" if water in the cylinders is a good
> thing? Why do most engines run so bad (I think) when there's water mixed
> in with the gas in the tank?

Simple chemistry.   Water and gasoline do not mix - they blend.  Let them
sit for even a few seconds and they separate - remember the lava lamps -
illustrates the separation perfectly.  A pump drawing a blend would have
totally unpredictable results.  And since petrol floats on water, one would
tend to pick up more water than gas and this would not make reliable
power.  Remember, water only works with EXCESS heat - and contributes
no heat to the process.  No heateee - no tickee - no shirtee..

Further, gasoline blends easily with air to form a combustible mixture.
Water is far more reluctant to blend with air at STP, so it needs to be
atomizing into a fine mist by pressure injection.  Different fluids,
different
process's and storage.  Think Nitrous Oxide.  One would not doubt that
vast increases in power are made on the bottle - but you don't toss it
in the tank and get results.  One respects the chemistry of each
component and use's that to get results.

What one is looking for is a correct mixture in the combustion chamber.
Just because Oil and Vinegar taste great on salad does not mean that
we store the blend together.