more water injection

M HILL EAXMJHI at ean2.mecheng.nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Sep 10 15:06:38 GMT 1996

> Date:          Tue, 10 Sep 1996 09:23:55 -0400 (EDT)
> From:          Dirk Wright <wright at uspto.gov>
> To:            diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject:       more water injection

> OK, here's a really dumb (but interesting to me) question: If water
> injection is so great, why is water in the gas considered so bad? Why
> bother with products like "dry gas" if water in the cylinders is a good
> thing? Why do most engines run so bad (I think) when there's water mixed
> in with the gas in the tank?
>
> I can understand the freezing bit in winter, which could be cured with
> added alcohol of glycol, but if water injection is so good, it seems that
> you could save yourself a bunch of hassle by just adding water to the gas
> in the gas tank. Is it possible that you only want water injection under
> certain circumstances, like WOT? If so, then I could understand the need
> for dry gas and a separate water injection system. Otherwise, what's the
> deal?

> Dirk Wright 					            wright at uspto.gov
> "I speak for myself and not my employer."               1974 Porsche 914 2.0
> "A real hifi glows in the dark and has horns."            1965 Goodman House

I am led to believe that the reason you do not want water in the
petrol tank is that water is heavier than petrol, and will therefore
sit at the bottom of the tank and make it go rusty.  You are unlikely
to get the water mixed up with the petrol.  I do not know much about
the products used to remove water from the petrol tank, but I imagine
they just make it all mix up together.  Thus enabling it to be pumped
out of the petrol tank.

Martin