more water injection

Dirk Wright wright at uspto.gov
Tue Sep 10 18:44:21 GMT 1996

On Tue, 10 Sep 1996, Robert J. Harris wrote:

> Further, gasoline blends easily with air to form a combustible mixture.
> Water is far more reluctant to blend with air at STP, so it needs to be
> atomizing into a fine mist by pressure injection.  Different fluids,
> different
> process's and storage.

OK, what if we added alcohol to disperse the water into the gas, and the
engine had fuel injection. The gas and the water would be atomized
together. Would this give more power?

The only reason I can see for using a separate system would be for
control over exactly when the water was injected. But, how critical is
the timing of the water injection? Assuming a constant water/gas ratio,
in the above senario, more water/gas mixture would be injected during
periods of high power, so more water would get in to the cylinders
anyway.

> What one is looking for is a correct mixture in the combustion chamber.
> Just because Oil and Vinegar taste great on salad does not mean that
> we store the blend together.

Um, we usually store them together when they are intended as a salad
dressing....

Dirk Wright 					            wright at uspto.gov
"I speak for myself and not my employer."               1974 Porsche 914 2.0
"A real hifi glows in the dark and has horns."            1965 Goodman House