Timing - again

Robert J. Harris bob at bobthecomputerguy.com
Mon Sep 16 03:09:26 GMT 1996

Remember the Reichstag

----------
> From: talltom <talltom at teleport.com>
> To: diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject: Timing - again
> Date: Saturday, September 14, 1996 12:30 PM

ve
> maintained that some combustion chambers aren't inclined to knock and are
> best timed
> by power. My expierience with these(Fiat and some fe series Fords come to
mind)
> suggests that power goes down significantly before knock, and frequently
is
> accompanied by surging. While it doesn't show to a great extent, the
latest

Some one will definitely correct me, but as I understand it, you want to
light the
fire before top dead center just enuff to make the maxium pressure thru out
the
entire power stroke.  Too early and some of the pressure slows the piston
down
on the compression stroke. Too too early and knock - drive the piston
backwards.

Vizard and other current writers says ceramic coating pistons, valves and
chambers greatly reduces knock and ping.  Micro Coats of Santa Rosa, a
leading coater says works great RETARD timing 3 to 4 degrees after coating
to make optium power (10% increases not unrealistic).  WTF - if optium
power
is just before destruction limit, and ceramics move that up the advance,
why
do you make better power at less advance?  Maybe better combustion, flame
front propagation, etc cause the pressure to build faster.  Nah - just
f___ng
magic.