Timing - again, ceramic

jac at wave.sheridan.wy.us jac at wave.sheridan.wy.us
Mon Sep 16 05:26:14 GMT 1996

RE: ceramic surfaces

The ceramic coating keeps more of the heat in the gasses
through the expansion cycle and more energy is extracted
from it.

The knock and dentonation improvement is also the result
of the insulating properties of the ceramic.  During the
expansion cycle the surface of the insulation will be
hotter than bare iron or aluminum would be in similar
conditions.  There is less condensation of fuel and
combustion products on the head and piston, therefor less
carbon buildup and hot spots to cause problems during the
compression cycle.

The timing can be retarded because the insulated surfaces
cause less heat to be absorbed by the head and piston
surfaces.  The flame front travels faster and probably
initiates with greater precision.