Timing - again, ceramic

Dirk Wright wright at uspto.gov
Mon Sep 16 11:57:54 GMT 1996

On Sun, 15 Sep 1996 jac at wave.sheridan.wy.us wrote:

> RE: ceramic surfaces
>
> The ceramic coating keeps more of the heat in the gasses
> through the expansion cycle and more energy is extracted
> from it.

Yeah, ceramics are a good way to keep the exhaust gases hot and the heads
and pistons cool. In a book I have called "Air Cooled Motor Engines", the
author talks about how they tried installing a stainless steel shield in
the exhaust port to help keep the heads cooler. But, since the exhaust
gas was now hotter, the exhaust valve ran hotter, too. This can be a real
problem in air cooled engines. We can expand on this idea and note that
any technique (including ThermoTec header wrap tape and Jet Hot Coating)
that "keeps the heat in the pipe" will make the exhaust valves run
hotter, thus shortening thier life. A solution for this is to get the
exhaust valves Jet Hot Coated also, and/or use sodium-cooled exhaust
valves.

Dirk Wright 					            wright at uspto.gov
"I speak for myself and not my employer."               1974 Porsche 914 2.0
"A real hifi glows in the dark and has horns."            1965 Goodman House