Timing - again, ceramic

Dirk Wright wright at uspto.gov
Tue Sep 17 11:57:47 GMT 1996

On Mon, 16 Sep 1996, Todd Knighton wrote:
> 	Beware of Ceramics!!!
> 	Especially on internal engine parts, i.e. pistons, combustion chambers,
> valves, exhaust ports.

Does this include Jet Hot Coatings? They have pictures of coated valves
and piston tops inthier brochure. I can understand this might be a
problem in air cooled engines, where the parts expand more due to the
higher operating temperatures.

> 	Coating headers as well tends to make the material run much hotter,
> thus disintegrates quicker, especially on mild steel.  If you just go to
> a good stainless steel header, the coefficient of thermal heat transfer
> is so slow, the heat transfer is practically better than a mild steel
> header ceramic coated.

Yeah, that's the idea behind stainless steel valves for air cooled
engines, they run cooler that way.

Dirk Wright 					            wright at uspto.gov
"I speak for myself and not my employer."               1974 Porsche 914 2.0
"A real hifi glows in the dark and has horns."            1965 Goodman House