Jake Brakes & dynos

Doug Rorem rorem at cherokee.eecs.uic.edu
Wed Sep 18 16:56:36 GMT 1996

>From: "Robert J. Harris" <bob at bobthecomputerguy.com>
>>Mark, DYI_EFI
>>
>>EMF retarders have been around for at least 15 years on various
>>heavy vehicles like trucks, buss's etc.  Used one's should be
>>available in heavy vehicle boneyanrds. Newer ones are smaller,
>>lighter and cost more. Prices vary by customer attitude, time
>>of day, need for commission and just for the fun of it - typical
>>boneyard pricing structure.  Old city buss's typically have
>>them - Jake Brake's suck in rich neighborhoods.

 The Jake Brake (Jacobs engine brake) on trucks don't work by EMF. It
causes the engine to become an air compressor when the driver engages
it (typically when they take their foot completely off the throttle). They
have a Jacobs driveline brake which does work by EMF. Their WWW site:

http://www.jakebrake.com

--
Doug Rorem
University of Illinois at Chicago         (312)-996-5439  [voice]
Chicago, IL 60607-7053                    rorem at uic.edu