Hardened Valve Seats

Dirk Wright wright at uspto.gov
Thu Sep 19 23:40:33 GMT 1996

On Thu, 19 Sep 1996 neilaura at aceweb.net wrote:

> I don't know about America, but in England it is common practise to
> build up cam lobes with stellite to reclaim them. The stuff is damn near
> indestructable and can be applied easily with a welding torch.

I think it's uncommon on this side of the pond. Stelite still has enough
of an aura of voodoo magic to be a good marketing tool for the fat wallet
set.

The main benifit of the material is that it doens't get soft at high
temperatures, unlike just about every other steel alloy.

Dirk Wright 					            wright at uspto.gov
"I speak for myself and not my employer."               1974 Porsche 914 2.0
"A real hifi glows in the dark and has horns."            1965 Goodman House