Tom Cloud's self tuning EFI Idea

Thor Johnson johnsont at falcon.mercer.peachnet.edu
Sat Sep 21 12:55:07 GMT 1996

On Fri, 20 Sep 1996, George M. Dailey wrote:

> Tom,  I think, what you are proposing is hardware and software that will
> dyno tune the engine as you drive. Kinda like having a personal staff of
> performance engineers in a black box to continuously search for that state
> of "ultimate tune" for your hot rod.

> I would be interested in exploring this futher. It is certianly possible
> with todays off the shelf components. This would be a DIY'ers dream come true.

  I'll keep lookinghere for ideas/sensors/methods.  This is what I hope
to accomplish with my homebrew engine mgmt system for FSAE.  I think the
limiting factor (as tuning speed goes) will be response of the sensors -
I've head that O2 sensors can take up to 1sec to responsd... can someone
comment on this? (seems to be the slowest sensor...)

                Thor Johnson
       johnsont at falcon.mercer.peachnet.edu
   http://falcon.mercer.peachnet.edu/~johnsont

         Have you seen the WarpMap lately?