self tuning efi

talltom talltom at teleport.com
Sun Sep 22 16:41:01 GMT 1996

>From: Thor Johnson <johnsont at falcon.mercer.peachnet.edu>
>Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 08:52:44 -0400 (EDT)
>Subject: Re: Tom Cloud's self tuning EFI Idea
>
>On Fri, 20 Sep 1996, George M. Dailey wrote:
>
>> Tom,  I think, what you are proposing is hardware and software that will
>> dyno tune the engine as you drive. Kinda like having a personal staff of
>> performance engineers in a black box to continuously search for that state
>> of "ultimate tune" for your hot rod.
>
>> I would be interested in exploring this futher. It is certianly possible
>> with todays off the shelf components. This would be a DIY'ers dream come
true.

>  I'll keep lookinghere for ideas/sensors/methods.  This is what I hope
>to accomplish with my homebrew engine mgmt system for FSAE.  I think the
>limiting factor (as tuning speed goes) will be response of the sensors -
>I've head that O2 sensors can take up to 1sec to responsd... can someone
>comment on this? (seems to be the slowest sensor...)

I thought I was the first one to bring that idea up! Oh well.
  My expierience with o2 sensors sez they're much faster than that. I've even
heard of ideas of calculating the time and firing order in such a way as
to get an o2 reading for each individual cylinder(we're talking two sensor
v8 here) so mixture could be varied from cyl to cyl. Course if outfits like
Chevrolet and Kinsler made their ports symetrical that probably wouldn't be
necessary.(Oops, I see the latest chev small block figured this out, even went
to the smooth firing order!) I believe some manufacturer may be already be
doing this. The way I understand the workings of an o2 sensor, one wouldn't
think they could be very fast reacting, but they sure as heck seem to be.
Sorry I can't
get any more specific, but sometimes the impression made on the ahole is what
counts most.
   Maybe I should also add that being a poor dumb sob means that no video camera
is available for the guages on a run so I usually get the job of watching guages
while sombody else keeps it out of the ditches. The one that gets most
attention is
o2 sensor.

"a society that will trade a little freedom for a little order
deserves neither"
                                                       Thomas Jefferson

Clinton doesn't want anything Hitler didn't have.

What do you get with Bob Dole, Bill Clinton, and Dolly Parton in the same room?

Two boobs and a country singer!

Harry Browne for president 96!                              Talltom