Combustion chamber heat

talltom talltom at teleport.com
Thu Sep 26 08:45:46 GMT 1996

  I've noticed a little discrepency here in relation to combustion chambwer
heat.
It seems that some say it's necessary to go over rich to cool and prevent
preignition/detonation. Others say that thermal barrier coatings are the
neat trick,
which would make the combustion chamber hotter, and to me more knock prone.
I've heard it said that eng's with aluminum heads will make 30-40 hp less than
same with cast iron heads.. Todd said he had to go rich on aircooled to keep
from
self destruction. My question is why, meltdown or preignition/detonation? If
it's
preignition/detoation wouldn't thermal barrier coatings make it worse?(barring
carbon deposits)
  Hate to mention it, but yes I agree that the heat generated will be more
effective
in the cylinder, but art what cost in the way of ign timing penalties??
Really do hate to open the thermodynamics bag of worms again, but it seems
everybody I know
with air cooled says they're at a disadvantage, the aluminum guys say they're
at a disadvantage, and the cast iron crowd seems to think the aluminum guys
are ahead.
   Somebody's screwed! Question is who? (Either way I win, I have cast iron
and aluminum heads, and air cooled is out of the question, unless you're
talking Lister
diesel)

"a society that will trade a little freedom for a little order
deserves neither"
                                                       Thomas Jefferson

Clinton doesn't want anything Hitler didn't have.

What do you get with Bob Dole, Bill Clinton, and Dolly Parton in the same room?

Two boobs and a country singer!

Harry Browne for president 96!                              Talltom