MPI and sequential injection

George M. Dailey gmd at tecinfo.com
Tue Apr 1 12:51:58 GMT 1997

Question: A friend has a '86 oldsmobile royal with a 3.8L (sequential
injection, I think). He blew the motor and purchased a 3.0L '86 olds or
buick engine instead, by mistake. Were all 3.8L engines sequential for this
year and were all 3.0L just PFI?

Did they use the same ECM, just different proms?

The 3.0 has a combination sensor only while the 3.8 had a cranck and a cam
sensor. From the the schematics I've seen, it should be easy to make the
3.0L work with just a few wiring changes and a prom change.

Correct me if im wrong.

Oh, by the way, he accidentally installed the 3.0 also. A "jack leg"
technician tried to feild modify the wiring harnes to accept the 3.0 sensor
with no success. He simply cut and spliced the colors that seemed to match
the closest :()

thanks,
GMD