Alternator drain

Tom Cloud cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu
Tue Apr 1 13:31:36 GMT 1997

>The std alternator drains out 43-45 amps into 14V's. But the alternator
>which I have now drains 85 amps into 14V's (its just a 1.5ltr engine).
>
>Is the overly large alternator the source of the problems?

no ..... the only "loss" you'll have with your bigger
alternator is a little more energy to spin the larger
armature and the slight added friction.  If it is
working correctly, it doesn't load your engine anymore
than a small one.  The amperage rating is just a statement
of what it CAN do.  Like a 100 hp car and a 500 hp car of
the same size and weight both use, let's say, 35 hp to cruise
and 60 mph.  [The analogy falls apart with the efficiency of
the two motors.  The efficiency of both your alternators is
the same and is quite high.]

I won't hazard a guess as to what is causing your problem
(well, maybe I might  ;-)  -- maybe someone else will.
I'd check your battery -- in fact take it to an electrical/
alternator shop and pay them the $5 or so to check out the
entire system.

Tom Cloud <cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu>