EGT

Dave Williams dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us
Tue Apr 1 22:08:32 GMT 1997

-> with EGT probes on engines on the dyno.  I think the reaction rate of
-> the probes is slow enough to make them useless for street mixture
-> management.

 People keep saying that, but I have an EGT mounted on the dash and
watch it for amusement since the guage cluster replaced the radio and
tape deck.  Response time is one or two seconds to minor load changes;
it responds faster to minor changes than major ones, probably thermal
mass or something.  Since the EGT would be essentially a tuning device
to build/correct the maps the response time looks useable to me.  Not
real time control, no, but a useful input just the same.

-> Much better to use them to set up carbs/EFI on the dyno
-> and to develop A/F maps.

 At a typical price of $500 per half day (Kuntz, Craft, Dynotech, RHS
within 150 miles, all the same price) that's not a real option for most
people.

 And of course once you're off the dyno you have no feedback loop at
all, which makes the EGT look even better.  At least it's telling you
*something* without hauling the motor out of the car.

====dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us========================DoD#978=======
  can you help me...help me get out of this place?...slow sedation...
ain't my style, ain't my pace...giving me a number...NINE, SEVEN, EIGHT
==5.0 RX7 -> Tyrannosaurus RX! == SAE '82 == Denizens of Doom M/C '92==