Alternator drain

FJB203 at aol.com FJB203 at aol.com
Wed Apr 2 15:22:15 GMT 1997

>  (I think) the alternator is the opposite: the *field* magnetism
>  is produced in the spinning rotor and the output cometh from
>  the stator (???).
>
>  At any rate, 'tis not true that either have permanent magnets.

Its been so long since I've studied electricity, but I think the generator
DOES have magnets, otherwise how would it power the lights and the
accessories I have attached to it in my Humvee.  The generator, alternator,
and everything for that matter share a common ground (vehicle frame), however
the generator has no battery whatsoever in the loop.  Maybe I chose the wrong
word (Generator), but its an isolated, batteryless circuit.  So the
electricity comes from somewhere :).  I had assumed magnets that the
rotor/stator rotates within its magnetic field.

Fred