Alternator drain

John Hess JohnH at ixc-comm.net
Wed Apr 2 15:06:08 GMT 1997

Non-permanent magnet alternators need a battery.  Honda made an
alternator at one time that used a permanent magnet rotor.  This unit
would generate electricity any time it turned.

The difference is simple.  The automotive alternator produces
(generally) a three phase Alternating Current electrical signal.  The
average DC component of these AC signals will be 0 volts (equal
duration/level positive and negative).  A generator produces a DC
 (pulsating though it may be).  The average DC component of this
signal will always be the same polarity and will generally vary with
the speed of the unit.  The fact that an earlier writers alternator
produced pulsating DC was due to the rectifiers generally included in
the alternator package, not to a function of an alternator.