Power Supplys Attempt (2)

FJB203 at aol.com FJB203 at aol.com
Thu Apr 3 22:54:41 GMT 1997

>  to "beware".  That doesn't mean stay away.  Unfortunately, their
>  target market is those least able to distinguish and to choose
>  wisely.  When I buy something there I don't expect much so I

Exactly, this is why Radio Shack (actually, Tandy stock) is a okay stock to
own, for the retain stores consistantly sell at a 40-55% profit margin
(except for the free flashlights every April, those are a loss, but notice
how they require 5 D batteries <G>).  I know this because during 1985-1988 I
managed a store while in college.  They have some good products, and some
lame ones, however for the most part have been purchasing audio equipment
from them, particularly speakers.  A lot (but not all) of the speakers are
designed by Bose, which we all recognize as a good brand.

>  gotten plain junk (I've actually bought nuts and screws there that
>  were threaded wrong!).  They're not known for quality!

Most of the components, especially in the blister packs on the walls are
seconds, left overs, and in some cases, eeeew, pulls.  I've purchased TTL
chips that actually had solder on them.  What is this?  pre tinned?  I don't
think so :)

>  else.  Same for the books.  There's a few good ones (the
>  little beginner series by Forrest Mimms is great), but most

Yes, grew up reading Forrest Mimms books.  Have a whole box of 'em.

>  have ignored my warnings about buying soldering irons there.
>  I've got a large box full of their soldering irons left
>  by students that -- once they learned how to solder, and

I don't doubt that for a second.  I have a small box of soldering irons from
there as well, one of which I "installed" and X-acto knife blade and use it
to cut plastic :)  Another one became windshield-caulking cutter (same
concept, just different blade).  For actual soldering I use a good quality
weller with adjustable temperature and digital display.  Probably overkill,
but it works and its grounded, no static in the circuit.  I do have to say
one soldering iron of theirs I do like is the eight dollar cigarette-lighter
soldering iron.  Handy to have one in each car, just in case for those
roadside emergency soldering jobs (such as an annoying speaker cut out after
driving through NYC).

>  with good equipment -- tossed them aside.  Their market
>  is selling electronics stuff to people that don't know
>  anything about it.  I don't dislike them.

Hence the retail price.  Hence the nice value for my Tandy stock.  I have no
issue with the weak being prayed on :).

>  guess I just can't help myself ..... someone puleeze
>  come and pry me away from this thing !!!

I'm unemployed, what's YOUR excuse <BIG TEASING SMILE>

Frederic Breitwieser
Bridgeport Connecticut
Homebrew-Autos at bolis.com