How did you guys get into DIY-EFI

Aron Travis atravis at spacey.net
Fri Apr 4 01:02:26 GMT 1997

I got into DIY-EFI because I am one of the few of the 'carburator
generation' that appreciates the qualities of EFI-and would like to
apply the EFI qualities to other projects. Like a '78 MG Midget I just
aquired.
I was a professional mechanic when the air cooled Volkswagen went EFI,
I remember the CIS of the VW rabbits, I remember the early Saab's being
such a mystery to many mechanics- "What's a throttle position sensor?"
they'd ask.
I groan when people complain about modern cars being unservacable, to
complicated, whine, whine, whine, look at all those wires, etc. To me
EFI is much better than those crude carburators of yesteryear. I remember
pumping the carb a few hundred times on those cold Michigan mornings to
get the car to start, and then waiting untill the engine/carb was warm
enough to go. When I got a EFI car I could just start it and go, which
makes one think of EFIing everything.
My wifes Audi has 160,000 miles on it and the only EFI service it's had
 is replacing the filter. You just can't beat that.
What it comes down to is many people have not taken
the time to learn a new system, they refuse to learn how simple EFI is.
What could be better for a home mechanic than a self diagnosing system
like many modern cars have? Or how about EFI's ability to cope with
engine changes, like headders, free flowing exhaust/intake, etc.? It sure
beats trial and error rejetting for every engine change.
I ask my carburator friends, "Do you have a problem with easy reliable
starts?", "Is there any thing wrong with better gas mileage, better HP,
better and lower(RPM) torque?"
But some dogs refuse to learn new tricks.
Sorry to get off on a rant......but that's why I'm into DIY-EFI.

>From the home planet,
-Aron Travis-
"always in a automotive frenzy"

P.S. better emissions too, so allowing for performance engine upgrades.