Electronic Boost Control

avos at cochlear.com.au avos at cochlear.com.au
Fri Apr 4 04:30:13 GMT 1997

     A standard wastegate has a spring which will set it's response to a
     given signal pressure. If the wastegate input pressure line is
     connected to manifold pressure, the wastegate will open an amount
     directly proportional to the manifold pressure. The amount that it
     opens depends on the tension of the spring (which holds the wastegate
     flap). I guess that it would be possible for the actual wastegate
     opening to be not directly proportional to the pressure if the spring
     is non-linear, and/or if limits are applied to the movement of the
     flap.

     The problem with this system is that the wastegate starts to open well
     before the set boost level is reached (as it always opens an amount
     proportional to the boost level), so at low boost levels when you are
     hoping to get every ounce of boost into the manifold, it can be
     inefficient. Naturally at high boost levels where you have boost to
     burn, it makes no difference.

     In a electronic boost control, PID control can be used so that the
     Integral term delays the opening of the wastegate, so that it is kept
     closed until later on the boost curve, so you get more boost when you
     need it most.

     Unfortunately I am not an expert on these things, and most of my
     information is based on reading books/mags, but I hope that most of
     this information is correct.

     Adrian