Some ALDL questions

Mark Glicksman mglicksm at suffolk.lib.ny.us
Wed Apr 9 03:54:00 GMT 1997

FJB203 at aol.com wrote:

> >  I believe this diagram was submitted by George M. Daily.
>
> And about six others, actually. :).  This is the exact schematic I shoved on
> my website.  I think all of the caps I used were 1uf's or .1 ufs, feel free
> to stop at http://members.aol.com/fjb203/index.htm and on the left side of
> the menu I created, click on "GM ALDL".  I have the schematic with the
> values, as well as all of the associated GM codes I could find.
>
> >  2) Has anyone actually built this circuit/cable and tried it???
>
> I built it, and attached it to the engine I have sitting on a moving dolly in
> my garage (3.8L 1986 GM engine from a Buick LeSabre.  I haven't devised
> software yet, I had received a copy about a month ago of a basic
> hard-coded-to-com1: terminal that would work with the ALDL interface however
> due to  my being a disorganized moron I can't find it on the hard disk.
>
> >  3) Does it work with the 160baud CCC and the 8192baud P4 computers?
>
> I believe its 160baud only, however I don't recall of that's a limitation to
> the circuit or because of the software I was sent :)
>
> >  4) What does the data output look like after it comes through?
>
> The GM vehicles send padder codes between each error code.  I think its
> 12,12,12, then 12 <error code> 12, and repeats through all the error codes.
>  Again, on my website the code transmission information is there.  This is a
> combination of what I've leached from various websites relating to ALDL as
> well as what I've gotten out of Chilton manuals.  Personally, I haven't
> gotten this far... still have the engine sitting on a moving dolly.
>
> >  I am trying to build this so that I may diagnose my 1987 Buick Park
> >  Avenue. (Picked it up for $550.00)  Unfortunately I don't have enough
> >  money to afford the Diacom package.
>
> Good deal :) :) :).  Side comment to George M. Dailey - SEE, I'm not the only
> bargain hunter <G>.
>
> Frederic Breitwieser
> Homebrew Automotive Mailing List
> http://members.aol.com/fjb203/index.htm

Hey Frederic,

Thanks for the diagram.  I was just sent another diagram also.  Yours
has  1uf capacitors on the diagram.  The other diagram I have came from
Vance.  Hopefully I will have this built in the next couple of weeks and
some software to get the raw data a few weeks after that.  BTW - Do you
know of any other web sights that have more information.  Also do you
have any software that you have developed or used that I could try.

			Very truly yours,
			Mark Glicksman
			mglicksm at suffolk.lib.ny.us