CO Emissions

Seth Allen n9540517 at cc.wwu.edu
Fri Apr 11 05:29:13 GMT 1997

> Steve, thanks for the reply.  I stated the problem wrong yesterday.  Here is the
> actual situation:  HC 455/450 loaded-fail, 459/450 idle-fail
>                    CO 1.05/3.75 loaded-pass, 0.74/5.00 idle-pass
> I changed my O2 trigger level from .57 to .60 for the idle and loaded areas
> which resulted in todays readings:
>                    HC 393/450 loaded-pass, 486/450 idle-fail
>                    CO 1.51/3.75 loaded-pass, 0.85/5.00 idle-pass
> This change corrected the loaded readings as expected and the idle CO as well,
> but did not effect the idle HC as expected.  What are causes for ignition
> misfire?  After checking the obvious, wire, plugs, vacuum leaks, what adjustment
> do you think I can make to the FI and ignition that might improve the idle HC.
> I can change the idle O2 trigger voltage separately and I can adjust the
> ignition timing over the whole range.  Since this is a closed loop system any
> changes to the fuel map are nulified by the O2 sensor loop.  I'm currently
> running 10 degrees of advance at idle.  Thanks, me.

I have a couple of suggestions.  I don't know what the engine is, but
this might help.  First, the o2 sender might cool offtoo much to work at
idle unless it is stuffed right  up close to an exhaust port.  Even 3
wire heated EGOs (O2) sensors cann cool quite a bit.  A fix can be to
crank up the idle to the max allowed.  This heats the o2 sensor up a
little and can help.  Too lean at idle will cause a misfire.  Sounds like
a richer idle will smooth out misfires.  The CO is low indicating no lack
of oxygen, so it's probably a lean misfire at idle.  If you can cut the
EGO out at idle and default slightly rich at idle , the CO will rise
slighly, but the reduction in misfire will drastically reduce the HC.  I
would also run as much ignition timing as i could, without pinging.  10
sounds low, but i don't know what the motor is or the exact gasoline.  I
am used to super unleaded at 92 (RON+MON)/2 with a small bore.  I am used
to 12-14 degrees advance static, but again it all depends.

Just my $0.02

Seth Allen

student,

Vehicle Research Institute