MAF TBI

Roy spectric at globalnet.co.uk
Fri Apr 11 20:22:12 GMT 1997

George M. Dailey wrote:

> Ladies & Gentlemen, MAF TBI has the greatest potential of being the "Holy
> Grail" of a universal fuel injection system for almost any engine, from
> single cylinder to V12. Feed on this:
>
> MAF will allow you to match the inlet air consumption to a specific fuel
> flow for any size engine, regardless of the cam characteristics. If the ECM
> has built in "learning capabilities" with closed loop operating
> capabilities, it should be drivable out of the box and right on the money
> after a few miles of driving/learning. The two/four valve carb mounting
> flange would make it adaptable to almost any engine. Injectors could be
> fired asyncronus so the the number of cylinders become meaningless. Crank
> trigers might work better in reality though. GM TBI goes asyncronus at very
> low engine speeds and start ups. I'm not 100% sure that full asyncronus
> operation is possible or desirable.
>
> GMD
FROM SPECTRICS UK

The MAF sensor although a very simple device requires a great deal of
fine tuning when used on the ICE.  If the air flow was smooth and uni
directional most problems go away but we all know this is not the case.

For high performance applications just bin it, since you require a
throttle body for each cylinder and not the Plenum chamber layout, so
you just cannot use it.  It is also definately more intricate to match
to an engine than a vane meter airflow sensor in many ways, the main
problem being reverse flow.

A vane meter does not measure backflow, the MAF unfortunately does.