ALDL info

Mark Glicksman mglicksm at suffolk.lib.ny.us
Sat Apr 12 02:31:35 GMT 1997

Todd King wrote:

>   <<<
>   program in C to read the serial port.  If this doesn't work, I have a neat
>   U-ART sitting in my basement (finding it is going to be a pleasure!) that can
>   adapt to almost any baud depending on the clock I drive it with.  Something
>   like 160 baud should be incredibly easy to emulate.
>   Fred
>   >>>

>   Well programming the serial port for regular old serial data reception is no
>   problem; but you guys are aware that the 160 bit/sec data stream is pulsewidth
>   modulated, right? The info is not encoded into the highs and lows of a regular
>   RS-232 type serial stream but instead is in the "wides and narrows". You have
>   to pulsewidth demodulate this stream to get the info out of it...
>
>   Todd_King at ccm.co.intel.com

Hey Todd,

	I'm not so sure about that, my reasoning is that I have a parallel to
serial converter which can transmitt at 110, 150, 300, 1200, 2400, 4800,
7200, 9600, 19200, 38400 as set rates.  Now my 8086's, 80286 and 80486
machines can all receive data at the 110, 150, & 300 baud levels without
a problem.  Also, since 160baud is on the + end of +/- 5% required their
shouldn't be too much of a problem receiving data at that rate.  In
addition, since it is a fairly slow data rate their also might not be a
problem with this.  Now as for 8192baud for the P4's if I was at a baud
rate greater than 5% of that rate I would be more likely to have a
problem with errors in the data.

			VTY
			Mark Glicksman
			mglicksm at suffolk.lib.ny.us