Chev 350 gurus (help )

peter paul fenske pfenske at direct.ca
Sun Apr 13 16:40:08 GMT 1997

Hi Dan

Your compression sounds very high.

A 350 test usually gives you about 140-150 PSI with the stock 0.39 lift
cam which sounds marketly similiar to what you got.

By all means use the electronic ECM controlled distributer.

In my own truck which I drive to work with I've got 91 5.7 heads which
give me about 170 PSI cranking or about 9.7 to one with stock dished pistons.

I run about 14 degrees advance. This was found by cranking the dist till
you would just note retard kicking in on a scanner.

The knock system works so good that there is no audible knock just
what the scanner picks up.

Of course crank it back for aircare(smog)

The end result is my 4400LBS pickup gets 20 MPG ave highway and city mix.

Stock advance setting gives me about 2 MPG less.

As for cam with TPI I am using the bigger performer cam from edelbrock.
Idles good. With Maf you could go a step bigger say a comp 268 especially
with your compression. Of course you might have to tweak the TPI a bit
to run this cam.

Still though your compression is quite high prob too high.

Ps my vette a 85 came with a 0.42 0.43 lift cam with tpi. The cam
you have sounds like a truck tbi cam.

My 2.5 cents:peter