info

Ross Myers ponty at axis.jeack.com.au
Fri Apr 18 13:50:08 GMT 1997

> Hi All
>
>         Nieghbor came over and wanted help on his 82 Camaro. Local shop told
> him that he need a esc module because timing didn't advance. Module is well
> over $100 at GM, only source. Check timing and found it advances with or
> without module attached. Main symtom appears to be idle varies widely. I
> suspected module is for retarding if pinging is sensed. Can anyone help ?
> The 82 has cross fire injection, all simple tune up items have been done.
> Car does pass smog test for calif.
>
> Thanks Vance

The ESC module is indeed used in the pinging detection process, so I
would assume it is as good as useless at idle.
With your Idle problem, I'd check that both IAC motors (at the front
of the throttle bodies) are working, unplug them one at a time (a 4
pin connector I think). Or try pulling the power to the ECM to reset
it's correction factors, it may have lost the plot!!.

Good luck

Ross