Electromotive FI

David Doddek pantera at pobox.com
Sun Apr 20 05:23:30 GMT 1997

Fred wrote
snip---

>Also, they have a problem with the HC11 chips going out, for which they
>charge $200 to repair! The guy at Haltech told me he charges something
>like 50 bucks.
>
>Fred

One thing that you have to remember about the Haltec and Electro, is how the
case is made.  With the Haltec, is is a simple matter of taking a few screws
out and using the chip puller to pop out the hc11 and pop in a new one.  It
can be done in about 5 minutes and the parts cost about $5.  So Haltec is
making $45 for 5 minutes work.
On the other hand, the Electro has a potted case to keep the unit water
tight.  I acutually wash mine in the car wash when I wash the engine.  First
they have to remove the potting, then the chip has to be unsoldered from the
board.  To do this with out destroying the board requires a very expensive
surface mount desoldering station.  The one we have at work costs about
$5000.  Then you have to get under a microscope and hand solder all 52 pins
of the chip.  Then add new potting to reseal up the unit.  All in all, it
takes at least an hour.  So they are not really making a killing on the repair.

Just something to keep in mind before you bash.

David Doddek     pantera at pobox.com    www.pobox.com/~pantera    217-422-3722
69 EFI Fairlane, 89 T-bird SC, 74 Twin turbo NOS EFI Pantera (I like to go fast)