Radar Scrambling

Walters Chris p23610 at gegpo6.geg.mot.com
Wed Apr 23 18:48:11 GMT 1997

>> Has anyone figured out what kind of plastic the sheet is that goes
>> in front of your license plate to attenuate the laser reflection?
>> And a (cheap) source?
>
>It's called a tarp, and you can get them at Home Depot.  :-)
>
>You're looking for a material that disperses/absorbs infrared, yet
>doesn't obstruct visible light?  Sounds like the kind of thing you'd
>find in a JC Whitney catalog.

Not at all. Edmund's Scientific catalog lists plenty of glass and plastic
sheets with various coatings to reflect/absorb light in just about every
part of the spectrum you could want.
To defeat laser you can 1)disperse it,  2) absorb it,  or  3) change the
frequency of the reflected beam so it's no longer "visible" to the laser
receiver/detector diode.

The reason to put this stuff over the license plate is to make sure the
laser gets a good reflection -- as cars get more aerodynamic they get
stealthier, fewer flat panels normal to the road. A laser would have no
problem getting a reflection from the front of my 74 LTD

To defeat photo-radar you need a different kind of plastic, one with a high
refractive index. Typically three sheets are laminated together with the
resulting index being so high that you can only see the license from
straight on/behind. Photo radar cameras have to be mounted at some offset so
now they can't see your plate.

Snake (Mr. Electronic Counter Measures)
TWO pretty cool Fords, one very cool Dodge