Radar Scrambling

Scot O. Stockton scot at emu.sp.trw.com
Wed Apr 23 21:10:44 GMT 1997

~Car and driver ran a test of a laser jammer a few months ago that used its
~own laser instead of a bunch of IR LED's.  On a black firebird with no
~front plate the thing effectively rendered the car invisible to laser.  Of
~course their tests of passive jammers have always shown that they never
~work.  One of the funniest tests I saw of those things was when they put a
~whole bunch of them, like a dozen or so, on the dash of some car and drove
~it at the radar gun and it didn't do a damn thing.
~
~
~Justin "Tuck" Cordesman

I'll add my anecdotal evidence to this:  I got the "Phazer" unit (first
checking that the outfit has a 90 moneyback return policy) and went out
hunting those RADAR machines that display your speed. (Note: the "Phazer"
is the scrambler part of the detector/scrambler sold as the "Phantom".)

Results : arguable.

* The instructions (not the sales pitch) mention a 100' "punch-through"
  range.

* The display post happily displayed my correct (and legal) speed BUT
  it did not turn on until ~100'.

* Still looking for a setup in a well travelled area where the the cars
  ahead can trigger a response, and (hopefully) I can bounce something in.L8r,

-S                                [EFI Rat infested '39 Ford Tudor Sedan Deluxe]
{Chopped, nosed, shaved, slammed and frenched -
                                       - sounds sorta like Cher or Michael, no?}