Radar Scrambling

Scot O. Stockton scot at emu.sp.trw.com
Wed Apr 23 23:29:56 GMT 1997

~>Results : arguable.
~>
~>* The instructions (not the sales pitch) mention a 100' "punch-through"
~>  range.
~>
~>* The display post happily displayed my correct (and legal) speed BUT
~>  it did not turn on until ~100'.
~
~Ah, this means the Phantom can 'cloak' you to within 100' of the radar unit.
~
~Pretty good, plenty of time to slow down. I'll bet it transmits the radar's
~signal back **inverted** thus causing the radar's detector to get no input.
~Reflected positive signal  + xmitted negative signal = no signal. Your cloak
~ drops when the power of the xmitted negative signal becomes less than
~the reflected positive signal.
~
~The next level  would be for the Phantom to automatically match the power
~of the positive signal -- you'd then be invisible right as you passed by.
~Cool,
~except the cop is going to know something screwy is going on when all the
~cars behind you register just fine. So you'd be best served with the Phantom
~sending out a percentage of your true speed.
~
~
~Snake (Mr. Electronic Counter-Measures)

Not so fast there oh-slithery-one.  That only means that there was no display
until then.  I can't be sure that it doesn't turn on until 100' or so, that
is why I want to wait until there are other cars around that I can confuse it
with.

And the described operation of this toy is that a 'chirp' is mixed into the
reflected signal allowing the RADAR to get 2 inputs (correct and >>correct).
It then relies on the operation of the confused gun to blank the display.

L8r,
-S                                [EFI Rat infested '39 Ford Tudor Sedan Deluxe]
{Chopped, nosed, shaved, slammed and frenched -
                                       - sounds sorta like Cher or Michael, no?}