That gol durned fuel injection

Aron Travis atravis at spacey.net
Wed Apr 30 01:44:03 GMT 1997

On page 74 of the June 1997 issue of 'Automobile' is the statement, and
I quote, "But carbs are more tuneable than fuel injection."

Now I know that I'm preaching to the converted, but, this statement
is totally wrong. Fuel injection (within reason) can adapt and 'self
tune' to a variety of engine changes much better than any carb. For
example when I put headders on my Galaxie I had to rejet the carb, when
I put headders on my Golf the EFI compensated.

This statement was written in the context of modern Japanese street
racing cars, kind of a 'gosh these modern cars CAN make horse power
goober' article. It seems that these auto journalists are a bit out of
date when fast Japanese cars are a new and noteworthy thing. The youth
of America drive Honda's, therefore they are going to hot rod those
cars. But of course they still had to cling to a little tradition and
throw in that carb statement. The article was interesting though, 400HP
from a Honda VTEC engine is newsworthy. Most of the cars seemed to be
fuel injected too.

This article goes on to say nothing beats a V-8, no torque in a four
banger, etc. I guess they don't realize things like power to weight
ratios, or why some punk on a two stroke dirt bike can whip most cars
on the road, V-8 or not.

Ranting from the home planet,
-Aron Travis-
"always in a automotive frenzy"

P.S. Not that I'm anti carb, just pro FI!