Two questions concerning water injection.

John Bertram bertram at teleport.com
Wed Apr 30 07:10:22 GMT 1997

I have two questions after reviewing past articles from the diy-efi archives.

These both concern turbocharged engines.

First, if you add the water before the turbo, the water will obviously be
well stirred up by the compressor wheel.  I have a large intercooler on my
car.  My question is... Will the water have a tendency to condense and
puddle in the bottom of the intercooler as the charge air is cooled?

Second, when the air/fuel/water mixture burns in the combustion chamber,
does the water turn to steam?  If it does, the steam is obviously being
created by some of the energy that would be lost as heat.  Since steam
takes up a lot more space than water, wouldn't that create a lot more
exhaust volume?  Would this extra volume of exhaust be useful in spooling
up the turbo quicker?

John Bertram, Technician
Garry Small Saab
Volvo Turbo APC project (www.teleport.com/~bertram)