SCI software

TOM_HUSSEY at HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com TOM_HUSSEY at HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Wed Apr 30 12:33:25 GMT 1997

Hi Chad,

Motorola has an application note on bootstrap mode that could be of
uses. This describes how to download the part (into ram) and execute
your program. I have done this with an HC11F1 but since the code is
"owned" by a company I can't send it.

To do what you want you need access to the SCI input and output lines
and the mode control pins. On reset with the mode set to 00 which is
special bootstrap, you send a binary stream. The processor sends the
recieved stream to ram and then vectors to it. The program you store in
ram could be anything...such as a program to dump the rom content.

There are a few things you will need to deal with. Depending on your
first byte of the binary, the processor will download at one of two
rates. Your computer must support the rate which may be non-standard.
Application note AN1060 available from Motorola Semiconductor sales
offices will describe this quite well. If you have any questions just
ask. -Tom