FW: That gol durned fuel injection

Atkinson, David DATKINSO at COSMPDGATE.CO.SYMBIOS.COM
Wed Apr 30 22:30:06 GMT 1997

>yeah, but "carbs **are** more tuneable than fuel injection",
>hence the necessity for this list -- when's the last time you
>say a list dedicated to carbs ??  not that they aren't
>plentiful, esp amongst enthusiasts, just that they are
>"more _easily_ tuneable".  If I could take the little
>'cap' off my efi and tune it, I would, but I have a SD
>system that requires lots of electronics and programming
>skills to decipher and lots of expensive electronic
>equipment to 'tune'.

>I'm not disagreeing with you at all -- just taking the
>devil's advocate position.

>Tom Cloud <cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu>

Agreed.  Even the most basic system such as an Accell DFI
is not easy to tune without a good knowledge of the theory
behind the injection.  Any slack-jawed yokel can replace the
jets in a carburetor (I know, I've done it!)  :-)  I'm sure we've all
seen some 2-tooth goober dial in a carb at some sleazy shop,
but give that same goob a laptop PC and he probably can't even
turn it on.
I'm not flaming carbs - they certainly are reliable, and easy to
set up - sometimes I want to toss my TEC-II and slap on a
Dominator, simply because it's time-tested and proven.  Of
course to really set up a carb to its maximum potential requires
a lot of knowledge, and more importantly wisdom, but I think
it pales in comparison to the knowledge required to dial in
even the most basic F.I. system.

My $.02 rantings...

 Dave