Delco EPROMS...Re: DIY_EFI Digest V2 #261

Curtis L. Martin cmartin at america.com
Fri Aug 8 02:18:03 GMT 1997

<snip..>
> > Reading the PROM is actually quite simple.  Get a PROM
> > Reader/Programmer.  Get a dual inline header strip.  Bend the long
> > pins outward so that they can be plugged into the Programmer socket.
> >  Plug your Memcal onto the pins sticking up (the pinout for the Prom
> > is the first (I think 28 pins) of the header.  Cut off the rest of
> > them and you can read (and burn an erased memcal).  The trick is not
> > reading or burning the EPROM;  but, in knowing where the various maps
> > are on the PROM and what they are doing.
<snip..>

Just for grins and giggles, does anyone know for certain what style of
EPROM is used?

The ones used in the V6's are pretty easy.. they are 27xx series EPROMS.
The ones used on the V8's have me stumped:

I've got a few of them (all for various VIN "F" Camaro's) and have taken a
them apart for a peek inside.

Yes it is some form of EPROM and it is 28 pins in a DIP package.  However
the markings on the component doesn't match any of the standard numbering
that I'm familiar with... some examples of the chip numbers are:

"014"   "69300"  "B9414AJ"  (These were on a Hypertech EPROM)

"40581" "E5012A"  "L5490618"  (These came off a Delco Prom)

The other two components inside the CALPROM pack are both 16pin DIP
packages, one marked 16055376 (8602) the other marked 16055375 (8604)

I would like to be able to dump the map out of the ones I have and compare
them to see what values have changed... I'd just like to know how to
configure the EPROM reader to the correct type of chip.

Any help would be appreciated,

Curt Martin (cmartin at america.com)
Ormond Beach, FL
http://www.america.com/~cmartin