TPI Questions

Curtis L. Martin cmartin at america.com
Fri Aug 8 02:31:10 GMT 1997

> Thanks for the help.
>
> This P/N thing is confusing.  I have the JTR book (and a bunch others)
and
> most say not to ground this pin.
> If I remember correctly something to do with idle and deceleration.
Should
> I be concerned????
> I think a lot of this is tied to an automatic transmission, not manual.
Is
> this true?

I left mine open..sortta.  I'm using Aluminum Corvette heads that do not
have the internal EGR passages in combination with a '86 VIN "F" TPI
manifold.

The EGR valve is still present and connected, but doesn't actually do
anything since there isn't a supply of exhaust gas to the valve.

Grounding the EGR feedback wire will set off the SES light (it simulates
the EGR being stuck in the open position)

Leaving it disconnected will also occasionally set off the SES light (there
are a few cases where the ECM will command the EGR to actuate, then look to
see what happened.)  Fortunately, temps down here are high enough that this
doesn't happen often.  (been about 4 months since the last time the code
went off) It will also clear itself within a few minutes of driving.

Someday I'll have an EGR flange welded to one of the exhaust headers to
supply external EGR.. but it's a low priority.

Curt Martin (cmartin at america.com)
Ormond Beach, FL
http://www.america.com/~cmartin
'87 350 TPI Camaro.. (used to be a 2.8L V6 :)