Adjusting Boost

Dan DanLlwln at ix.netcom.com
Fri Aug 8 20:25:41 GMT 1997

I have been wondering about electronic boost controllers (EBC) because
I have heard at lot of stuff that just didn't make sense.

Seems to me that the main benefit is that it keeps the wastegate
closed longer before opening up.  A regular wastegate using a spring
starts to open before the boost is near the desired level so that
the wastegate is fully opened by the time (or rather pressure) that the
maximum boost is reached.  I don't see that it will add any more
top horsepower, but maybe some middle HP after reaching about 1/2 full
boost.

The people selling the EBC (or EVC) talk about an extra 50HP on
my 435HP, .85Bar engine but I am skeptical.  Anybody do a controlled
test with these?  I have talked to a guy who does some racing (pretty
successful too) and he doesn't think much of EBC.

What about the difference between high quality vs low quality
wastegates?  Do the better ones stay closed longer using a regular
pressure regulator?  I am using an HKS racing wastegate now which
maintained a very consistent boost on the engine dyno unlike another
wastegate I once had.