Adjusting Boost

Bibiana Lim bibie at cyber-wizard.com
Sat Aug 9 15:33:43 GMT 1997

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the Feedback! Heaps of new info to absorb...some are really
out of my capability to comprehend but I promise to do more research
on your discussion.

You wrote:
>I have been wondering about electronic boost controllers (EBC) because
>I have heard at lot of stuff that just didn't make sense.

>Seems to me that the main benefit is that it keeps the wastegate
>closed longer before opening up.  A regular wastegate using a spring
>starts to open before the boost is near the desired level so that
>the wastegate is fully opened by the time (or rather pressure) that the
>maximum boost is reached.  I don't see that it will add any more
>top horsepower, but maybe some middle HP after reaching about 1/2 full
>boost.
Good point!
No..I don't think it will increase more power...but I only want it to happen
sooner...like much earlier. If you can't beat the guys .. at least I could keep
up during the pickup(start) until somewhere in middle HP.

>The people selling the EBC (or EVC) talk about an extra 50HP on

Wow! is this true! No wonder it is expensive!

>my 435HP, .85Bar engine but I am skeptical.  Anybody do a controlled
>test with these?  I have talked to a guy who does some racing (pretty
>successful too) and he doesn't think much of EBC.

>What about the difference between high quality vs low quality
>wastegates?  Do the better ones stay closed longer using a regular
>pressure regulator?  I am using an HKS racing wastegate now which
>maintained a very consistent boost on the engine dyno unlike another
>wastegate I once had.

I guess we'll have to hear from the others on this..right!

Rdgs

Bibie